sticky bit obsolete?

Ross ross at ulowell.UUCP
Sat Aug 9 11:31:07 AEST 1986

In article <16 at vianet.UUCP> devine at vianet (Bob Devine) writes:

>  Here is a question to people porting UNIX (and derivatives) to fast
>machines:  is the sticky bit idea worthwhile?   That is, on machines
>with slow disks it was worth keeping the text in the swap area, but,
>with faster disks and more memory, has the sticky bit become obsolete?

Well I have found on a DG MV10000/SX, a machine that is supposed to be fast
and occasionaly is, running DG/UX, that if the C compiler loader and
other good stuff is installed sticky, it runs in about 1/4 the time if
not installed sticky.  Could be the immaturity of the OS though.

						Ross Miller

csnet: ross%ulowell.csnet
uucp: ..ulowell!ross

Disklaimer:  The above are my own opinions.  I have formed them based on
	     facts.  DG and a lot of the rest of the article are trademarks
	     of Data General.