4.3 hangs

Richard Stevens stevens at hsi.UUCP
Fri Aug 1 03:24:02 AEST 1986

We just installed 4.3 BSD on a 11-785 (that has been running 4.2
for over 2 years without any problems).  Occasionally the entire
system will "hang" - it will complete jobs that are running,
the disk is being sync'ed, and it will echo characters on the
terminals.  However, the characters that are echo'ed are just
ignored and you aren't able to run any new jobs on the system.
We are then forced to reboot, and since it didn't panic, we don't
get a crash dump to look at, to try and find out what was going on.

Has anyone seen this before ??  We have heard from one 4.3 beta
test site that encountered this on an 8600, but they would then
reset their Systems Industries Massbus controller (for Eagles),
and haven't had the problem since then.  We do have 2 Eagles on an
Emulex SC780 and a lot of DMF terminal lines.  We did have to go back
to our 4.2 DMF driver (the one from Chris Maloney at MDDC), since the
4.3 DMF driver didn't work with our Emulex CS21/F and CS32/F.
Does anyone know how to force the kernel to generate a crash dump
from the console ??
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           ihnp4 ! hsi ! stevens