4.3bsd driver for SI 9900?

irwin at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU irwin at uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU
Fri Aug 22 02:14:00 AEST 1986

I just talked with SI yesterday, re a driver upgrade for the 9900.
We are running 4.2 and are using the SI driver. It has a bug in that
it can not handle two bad sectors in a row. We have a disk that has
two bad sectors in a row, (in the swap area) they are listed in the bad
block list,  but the system is reporting hard errors on the second of
the two bad blocks. We discovered this many months ago, and was told
that they were rewriting the driver to fix this.

My call yesterday (to Bill McKee at 408-942-1212) was to obtain
the status of the rewrite. I was informed that it is complete,
the new driver is to work with 4.2 or 4.3 and has the "two in a row"
bug fixed. They are sending us a tape with the new driver. I would
assume that if you called them, that they would send the new driver
which should work with your 4.3 system. I noted that you said hp.c
so I know you are on the mass bus/cmi bus and not on the unibus.
He questioned this point when I talked to him.