Using parameterized terminfo(4) capabilities in tput(1)

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Mon Aug 18 05:12:47 AEST 1986

In article <1206 at kitty.UUCP>, larry at kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>on occasion I use
>tput(1) to make use of terminfo(4) capabilities in a Bourne shell script where
>there is no C program involved.
>	Such applications as: ``tput clear'', ``tput bel'', etc. as invoked by
>the shell work just fine.
>	I have never been able to get any parameterized capabilities (such
>as ``cuf'', ``vpa'', etc.) to work with tput(1).  I have tried all manner of
>syntax for passing parameters with no success.
>	Does anyone know if it is even POSSIBLE to utilize any parameterized
>capabilities with tput(1)?  If so, how?
>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York

You can't.  Tput is not set up to handle parameterized capabilities.
However you can easily write your own program to do this if you wish;
see the terminfo(4) manpages for more info.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy