A SECOND CALL FOR WIZARDS, WRITERS AND UNIX GURUS

Robert_Toxen%anvil.UUCP at HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU Robert_Toxen%anvil.UUCP at HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Aug 29 01:33:31 AEST 1986

> From: Mitchell Waite <mitch%well.uucp at BRL.ARPA>
> Subject: A SECOND CALL FOR WIZARDS, WRITERS AND UNIX GURUS
> Date: 20 Aug 86 20:10:35 GMT
> To:       info-unix at brl-sem.arpa
>
> A CALL FOR WIZARDS, WRITERS AND UNIX GURUS      Aug 13, 1986
>
> The Waite Group, a computer book packager, is creating an exciting
> contributed book called THE UNIX PAPERS. The book contains articles written
> by a broad range of Unix experts, gurus, wizards and spokespersons,
> collected together and edited by the staff at The Waite Group.
>
> Mitchell Waite, President
>
> The Waite Group
> 3220 Sacramento Street
> San Francisco CA 94115
> {hplabs, lll-crg, lll-lcc} !well!mitch

First, let me state that the following is my opinion; I do not guarantee it
to be the truth (so that lawyers will have to find someone else to bother).

Second, Unix Wizards is NOT the place for commercial advertising.  There is
net.jobs that may be used for such things.  This is the SECOND time that this
has been posted to net.wizards.  If it happens again I suggest that that
the user and/or his system be disconnected from the net.

Third, A couple years ago I considered an offer to write a book for The
Waite Group.  While one reason I declined was lack of time, another reason
was that they offered much less than other publishers typically pay to
experienced authors.

I felt that they tried to take advantage of me by trying to get me to
accept a much lower royalty than was just.  I'm not sure of the figures
since it was two years ago but I recall their offering me 5% of gross sales.
I have been told by both a published author and a publisher that typical
rates are 10-15% for previously published writers such as myself and 7-8%
for previously unpublished authors.  I'm also told that this company has
been experiencing high employee turnover and other internal problems.
My advice is to talk to other publishers and friends, such as researchers
and professors, before agreeing to anything.

Bob Toxen
Stratus Computer
{ucbvax!ihnp4,harvard}!anvil!bob        (Please use THIS address to reply)
"panic: can't happen"