Talk and \"protocol not supported\"

Tom Perrine Perrine at LOGICON.arpa
Fri Aug 15 15:02:38 AEST 1986

We are a fairly new BSD site and are encountering some small difficulties.

Our current head scratcher involves "talk" and some other similiar
programs.  When I try to talk to someone I get the screen cleared and
then a message "Bad Socket (43)" or somesuch.  When I looked this up in
intro(2), I discovered that 43 is "Protocol not supported".  The system
where this occurs is not on a network, although we have been playing
with the config file, trying to get this to work.

Our config file is as follows:

#
# FRODO
#
machine		vax
cpu		"VAX780"
ident		FRODO
timezone	8 dst
maxusers	32
options		INET

config		vmunix		root on hp

controller	mba0	at nexus ?
disk		hp0	at mba? drive 0
disk		hp1	at mba? drive 1
controller	mba1	at nexus ?
master		mt0	at mba? drive ?
tape		mu0	at mt0 slave 0
controller	uba0	at nexus ?
device		dmf0	at uba? csr 0160340 flags 0x00ff
	vector dmfsrint dmfsxint dmfdaint dmfdbint dmfrint dmfxint dmflint
pseudo-device	pty
pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	inet

Can anyone guess what we have done wrong? Or is "talk" trying to use
some network facility that we need (even for local "talking")?

Thanks
Tom Perrine