Problem with sendmail and syslog

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Fri Aug 15 22:41:12 AEST 1986

	A while ago, I installed a new sendmail configuration file (on my
4.2bsd 750) with more rulesets than the vanilla sendmail would accept.  So,
I changed MAXRWSETS from 30 to 50 in /usr/src/usr.lib/sendmail/src/cong.h
and did a make.  For what it's worth, the new configuration file I'm using
is sendmail.main.cf from Sun 3.0.

	This managed to break syslog somehow.  Mail still gets delivered,
but not logged.  What's more, every once in a while we get a runaway syslog
daemon (ps shows it running, with increasing CPU time); when this happens,
I usually just kill the syslog process.  If I reboot, I get a normal
"syslog reinitializing" message.  Once in a while, I get some fragments of
a normal mail log message appear in the log.  If I write a little 2-liner
to try logging a message, nothing gets out either.

	Any guesses what I might have done wrong?
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016