simultaneous file transfer on ethernet (SUN's)

Steve Langdon sjl at amdahl.UUCP
Sat Aug 30 13:50:17 AEST 1986

In article <6527 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) provides his normal
clear explanation of many of the issues involved in trying to use multicast
to distribute files.  His explanatation focused on the issues involved when
you tried to solve the problem above the Data Link Layer (or LLC in 802
terminology).  A general architectural approach to multicast would be nice,
but you might find something useful in the current IEEE 802.1 work on load
protocols.  It is limited to use on a single LAN and was (last time I checked)
planned to support multicast.  I cannot provide any further details on how
they have designed the protocol because it has never been high on my priority
list.

If my suggestion leads you to a workable protocol, Guy is still right about
the type of skills you will need to use it.  Expect to learn more than you
want to know about the messy details of the system, hardware, and LAN.
--
Steve Langdon  ...!{decwrl,sun,hplabs,ihnp4,cbosgd}!amdahl!sjl  +1 408 746 6970

[I speak for myself not others.]