Raw sockets (yes, unfortunately!)

rodger at dcl-cs.ac.uk rodger at dcl-cs.ac.uk
Tue Aug 5 02:33:38 AEST 1986

ohhhhhhhh, here goes!!!!!

I've got a minor problem with the concept of networks, sockets,
(and probably UNIX and C).......!!!!!

Can anyone out there in netland offer any advice, code, hints, photographs,
etc on how one gets broadcasting to work with sockets.

I just want to broadcast a datagram out onto the Ethernet but (hankies out)
so far no joy...
	So far I've tried to use UDP sockets, RAW sockets, the NIT interface
on the SUN 3 (and even shouting into a transceiver) all to no avail.

I'd insert lots of my 'C' code here but you can get your laughs elsewhere !!
suffice to say a lot of it looks like the examples in the manuals (VAX & SUN)
so if any of you bright sparks (and dull sparks) would like to email me
anything (including any unwanted PhD theses) please feel free to do so.

Thanks/merci/danke/dank u wel/umba-unga

		Rodge
--
UUCP:	...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!rodger       | Post: University of Lancaster,
DARPA:	rodger%lancs.comp at ucl.cs	  |	  Department of Computing,