Continuous Winchester use

System Mangler mangler at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
Sun Aug 31 17:30:22 AEST 1986

In article <250 at desint.UUCP>, geoff at desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
> Now my only problem is deciding whether to leave the system on all the
> time [...] or continue my current cycling on/off behavior to extend the
> life of the power supply, CRT, and other electronics.

Cycling the power causes thermal expansion/contraction which eventually
leads to fatigue failures.  If you want to extend the life of the
electronics, keep them cooler with better ventilation or fans.

Don Speck   speck at vlsi.caltech.edu  seismo!cit-vax!speck