sticky bit obsolete?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.cbm.UUCP
Sun Aug 10 01:24:53 AEST 1986

In article <16 at vianet.UUCP> devine at vianet (Bob Devine) writes:

>  Here is a question to people porting UNIX (and derivatives) to fast
>machines:  is the sticky bit idea worthwhile?   That is, on machines
>with slow disks it was worth keeping the text in the swap area, but,
>with faster disks and more memory, has the sticky bit become obsolete?
>
>Bob

No, you still save (potentially) all kinds of overhead and disk I/O.
Try the following I you aren't memory bound, and haven't done it already.

Set the sticky bit on vi (or your favorite non-gnuemacs editor) -
	note improved repsonse time when you say vi fish.

Next move your favorite terminal entry to the first n lines of /etc/termcap.

voila! instant unix tuning...a win ~90% of the time.
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at seismo.css.GOV