getty speed switching under Ultrix v1.2

Steve Grandi grandi at noao.UUCP
Sat Aug 16 02:20:29 AEST 1986

In article <2996 at brl-smoke.ARPA> iglesias at ICS.UCI.EDU (Mike Iglesias) writes:
>I've set up /etc/gettytab on our Microvax II running Ultrix v1.2 to
>switch line speeds on breaks.  However, it doesn't seem to be very
>reliable.  It appears that Ultrix is seeing one break as several, so
>it skips past the correct speed about half the time.

4.2BSD has an undocumented field in /etc/gettytab called pf.  This
field gives the number of seconds to wait before flushing input at the
login prompt.  When I put a 'pf#1' field in the "rotary" dial-up entries in
gettytab the similar problems we were having zeroing in on a speed with
breaks went away; presumably the "pseudo" breaks get flushed before they
are detected.  Maybe the same field is hiding in Ultrix 1.2?

I have also added a to#180 field to the gettytab entries for our dial-up
lines so that the speed gets reset to "normal" every three minutes.
Our users were getting confused when they called in and found the line
set at 2400 bps; especially upset were those who couldn't send
breaks!
-
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ, 602-325-9228
{arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!grandi  grandi%draco at Hamlet.Caltech.Edu