Unix on IBM Mainframes & Clones

Uncle Wayne tewok at umd-brillig.arpa
Wed Aug 20 09:49:33 AEST 1986

In article <39 at alberta.UUCP> bjorn at alberta.UUCP (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) writes:
>I would like to here about peoples experiences with
>Amdahl UTS and/or IX/370 under VM.  Indications of
>implementation quality, efficiency, horror stories,
>price (including maintainance if available), etc.,
>is what I'm looking for.

About 2 years ago, I played with an account on an Amdahl UTS system.
I only had a day or two on it since the systems staff didn't know if
they wanted to run it.  There are two things I remember about it.
1)  I logged on to the same account at the same time from different
	terminals.  When I logged off of one of the accounts, UTS
	died also.
2)  They apparently had csh.  One person on the systems staff decided
	that sh would be for the everyday users and that csh would be
	reserved for the systems accounts.  His justification?  None
	that I know of.  He probably just wanted to have something he
	could use that the average scum-user couldn't.  Yes, that is
	the way his attitude was.
I'm sorry I can't give any more specifics about it than that.  As I
said, it was 2 years ago and I shouldn't have had access to the account
I had.  (UTS was there for testing and I was just an average scum-user.

	Wayne Morrison				ARPA: tewok at brillig
	Parallel Computation Lab		UUCP: seismo!umcp-cs!tewok
	University of Maryland
	(301)454-7690