Any body know networks supported for sysV 3.0

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.bu.EDU
Sat Aug 2 03:51:19 AEST 1986

>From Doug Gwyn
>What puzzles me is why Dennis Ritchie's streams-based TCP/IP
>implementation doesn't seem to be becoming an AT&T product.

Just some speculations:

I am fairly certain the TCP/IP for 3Bs mentioned on this list is the
one developed by The Wollongong Group (purveyors of VMS/EUNICE.)

I further suspect that the reason they (ATT) got involved in TCP/IP at
all was in response to the large NSA (et al) contracts they were
awarded, before that became an issue ATT seemed fairly determined to
go their own way (eg. 3Bnet.)

I would therefore assume that they needed to latch onto a quick
vendor, DEC had gone with TWG/TCP (for VMS) as had a few other
vendors (notably, in this discussion, Amdahl for UTS which ATT
re-markets.)

So, probably just an early direction that has become entrenched,
for better or for worse (I honestly don't know, I fooled around
with the TWG/SYSV/3B/WIN/TCP/IP at USENIX also and it appeared to
work.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University