Strange problems with TCP/IP

Bob Page page at ulowell.UUCP
Wed Aug 6 02:44:27 AEST 1986

Configuration:	VAX 750, Ultrix V1.0, 6MB memory, 2 RA-81s, TU-80,
		Old Interlan (link-level) Ethernet board, 3 DMF-32s.

Problem:	Ethernet doesn't seem to fully communicate.

Symptoms:	Power failure/surge (down for about 2 secs) the
		other night, and when the machine came back up we
		lost most of our Ethernet on this machine (other
		machines are fine).  However, rwho and ruptime
		work OK coming in; that is, I can type either and
		get a report of the whole network, as normal.  The
		other nodes don't get messages from us, and the
		other utilities (r, ftp, telnet) don't work in or
		out of the machine.

I've checked all the config files (hosts, services, protocols, etc);
nothing has changed from the time it worked and the time it didn't.
All daemons have been restarted, etc.

I would suspect a bad Interlan board or transceiver except that
other hosts can send rwho/ruptime information to us!  Local loopback
tests (mail, script, talk, phone, etc) work.  netstat(1) acts as
if there are no problems.

Any suggestions?  I don't have a network analyzer, nor sources, today.

Thanks in advance.

..Bob

--
UUCP: wanginst!ulowell!page	Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept
VOX:  +1 617 452 5000 x2233	Lowell MA 01854 USA