RFS woes

Peter H. Berens phb at dcdwest.UUCP
Wed Aug 6 07:33:33 AEST 1986

We are running Todd Brunhoff's remote file system (RFS) code on our
4.2 BSD VAXen.  I should also mention that we are also running
CHAOS net on our system as well. It seems that certain operations
cause the system to permanently allocate an mbuf for data and never
give it up.  This can be made to happen under the two following
circumstances:
	% cd /REMOTESYS/a/b/c; tar x
	or
	% ls > /REMOTESYS/a/b/c
In the case of the tar extraction, it is very easy to completely
run out of mbufs in short order causing the system to eventually crash.
The other cases (shell output redirection) lose mbufs so slowly that
you can go for many weeks before running out.

Has anyone else had this experience?  Are any fixes known other
than the ones distributed by Todd?  Has anyone else sucessfully
run CHOAS net and this software at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any information.
					Pete Berens
					ITT DCDWEST
					San Diego, CA