flow control

lauren at RAND-UNIX.arpa lauren at RAND-UNIX.arpa
Tue Aug 5 13:05:15 AEST 1986

I see I should have been more explicit--my use of the term
"hardware" flow control may have been misleading.  What I should
have said is that ethernet and X.25 environments have RELIABLE
end-to-end (computer-to-computer) flow control--usually kernel
based.  This makes a variety of efficiencies possible.  This is
in contrast to, for example, standard serial line communications,
where hardware flow control often represents the only reliable
end-to-end flow control mechanism, particularly at higher speeds.

--Lauren--