Need help with modems under Ultrix

Brett Galloway brett at wjvax.UUCP
Tue Aug 12 04:36:40 AEST 1986

In article <3097 at ncsu.UUCP> mark at ncsu.UUCP (Mark Lanzo) writes:
>Well, I did so well with my last question to this group (thanks folks!)
>that I'm gonna try again with a new one!
>
>The situation:
>    I am trying to hook up a modem to a MicroVax II running
>Ultrix-32m V1.2.  The modem needs to be usable for both incoming and
>outgoing use.
>[more about ultrix]
>       Actually, dial out use has been fairly well behaved.  I've written
>   programs which stop/start the getty on the line, then connect you to
>   the modem (via C-Kermit).  Here I would just like to know if anyone has
>   a GOOD system for doing this, or a better approach.

I am on a bsd4.2 system.  I have been told that ultrix provides better
facilities for bi-directional use of a modem than does bsd4.2, but I, too,
am interested in allowing dial-in/dial-out on the same modem.  It appears to
me that bsd4.2 requires that getty be enabled on the line to allow
dial-in.  Given that, the only way I know of to allow dial-ins is to
twiddle on the /etc/ttys file to turn off getty and ping init with
kill -HUP 1.  That is very crude, however.  Does anyone know of a better way
to get getty to sleep while you use the modem for dial-out?  Please respond
to the net or by E-mail.

Brett Galloway
{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix,vecpyr,certes,isi}!wjvax!brett