-ltermcap

Shawn F. Mckay shawn at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 4 02:10:54 AEST 1986

Greetings. I am having great problems with termcap. Has anyone out there
ever figured out how this works for simple applications?

For example, I want the 'cl' codes for a given terminal type, and don't
wan't to have to write a 500 page library like curses to get it.

On the other hand, I would rather not write my own termcap.

One would think I could say something like:

char	buff[20];

	tgetstr ("cl", buff);

And have it use the buffer it retreived from the call to tgetent() to find
my capability. But, no, this would be too easy. Is there some simple, and
fast way to get this result? I would also not mind being pointed to some
useful documentation on termcap, since I have NEVER seen anything that
documents it very clearly.

And No, the source code doesn't help, it only adds to the documentation
problem.

			Thanks for any help.
			  - Shawn