sticky bit obsolete?

Win Treese treese at mit-trillian.MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 9 03:10:47 AEST 1986

In article <16 at vianet.UUCP> devine at vianet (Bob Devine) writes:

>  Here is a question to people porting UNIX (and derivatives) to fast
>machines:  is the sticky bit idea worthwhile?   That is, on machines
>with slow disks it was worth keeping the text in the swap area, but,
>with faster disks and more memory, has the sticky bit become obsolete?
>
>Bob

I don't think it's obsolete.  In a workstation environment with the bulk of
the software residing on a remote fileserver, keeping the text of some
commonly used programs in memory speeds loading and cuts down on network
traffic.

We're using microVAXen and PC/RT's like this, and the sticky bit is very
useful.

	Win Treese
	MIT Project Athena

ARPA: treese at athena.MIT.EDU
UUCP: ...!{decvax, genrad}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!treese