Talk and "protocol not supported"

Bjorn Eriksen ber at enea.UUCP
Sat Aug 23 07:24:52 AEST 1986

In article <3033 at umcp-cs.UUCP> chris at umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <6312 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>>Barry's right, [talk] is a crock.
>
>I hate to insult programs---it feels as though I am insulting the
>programmer, by impliciation---but Barry and Guy are right.
>
>>...  The only way that can fail is if you
>>haven't configured in Internet protocol support, ...

Sometimes that "make depend" does not work out correct after just adding new
options. I suggest you do a "config XXX" and "make depend" into a clean
directory and generate a new vmunix from scratch before you try to understand
how talk/talkd works.

--
Bjorn Eriksen
ENEA DATA Sweden

UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,penet,ukc,unido}!enea!ber
ARPA:	ber%enea.uucp at seismo.CSS.GOV