Strange problems with TCP/IP

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Thu Aug 7 07:24:30 AEST 1986

In article <625 at ulowell.UUCP> page at ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>Power failure/surge (down for about 2 secs) the other night, and
>when the machine came back up we lost most of our Ethernet on this
>machine (other machines are fine).  However, rwho and ruptime work
>OK coming in [...].  The other nodes don't get messages from us,
>and the other utilities (r, ftp, telnet) don't work in or out of
>the machine.

>I would suspect a bad Interlan board or transceiver except that
>other hosts can send rwho/ruptime information to us!

Suspect it anyway.  Your board is receiving broadcast packets, and
no others.  Broadcast packets likely use a different hardware path
than `regular' packets.  It sounds as though the address matcher
in the board has quit.  You cannot send anything because all outgoing
packets get hung up waiting for ARP replies, which are never seen
because the address matcher is broken.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu