merging 4BSD and SysV utilities

wombat at ccvaxa.UUCP wombat at ccvaxa.UUCP
Thu Aug 14 11:21:00 AEST 1986

As John said, Gould decided to give up on a merged BSD/ATT system.  It did
take some extra work (and a good memory for trivia and history) to maintain
the merged system, but I for one didn't mind because I *liked* the merged
system.  Unfortunately, enough customers didn't that we are switching to a
split 4.3BSD / System V view of the world. By putting /usr/5bin in your
$PATH you can pick up System V commands, but compiling something that wants
both BSD and ATT library routines is tricky.

"Our first order of business will be to find a deranged alchemist, which
should not be very difficult. China," said Master Li, "is overstocked
with deranged alchemists."
Barry Hughart, *Bridge of Birds*		Wombat
					Gould CSD / Urbana
					ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!wombat