4.3bsd driver for SI 9900?

Rick Adams rick at seismo.CSS.GOV
Tue Aug 26 07:10:54 AEST 1986

I have a version of the 4.3 BSD hp.c driver that works with our
SI 9400 and 9900 controllers (and CDC 9766, 9775, and 9771 disks).
I've also fixed the off by one error in the table for the CDC9775 disk drive.
(disktab says 842 cylinders, hp.c says 843. I went with 842, since thats
what our old driver used)

The 4.3 driver works fine if your controller isn't braindamaged. Unfortunately,
our SI controllers are, so we had to fix it.

It also works with Emulex SC7000 controllers of Rev C (Emulex fixed the
problem in Rev D of the firmware. SI sends you driver hacks. Consider this
a plug for Emulex if you wish.)

It works fine with disks and controllers that aren't broken (Real DEC RM05s).

I also have 4.3BSD versions of the multi-user badblock,diskformat and markbad
that I got from BRL for 4.2. I think they originated with SI a long time ago.

The problem is with incorrectly calculating the forwarded block when
doing bad block forwarding in case those of you with rational hardware
were wondering.

Send me mail and I'll tell you how to obtain the files.

---rick