Experiences with SUN

Erik Freed freed at aum.UUCP
Mon Feb 24 07:12:56 AEST 1986

I won't bother to quote the original article. I have also had some
bad experiences with Sun as well as good. The bad seems to be that
they are in their corporate expansion, very likely to cut some
corners especially as far as making the waiting customer happy.
We were told that they would make a certain shipping date on a
*very* important shipment and about one week before the expected
arrival of equipment I called about something else and was told
that they had rescheduled delivery a month later and had neglected
to tell me! I have yet to find out whether they will make good on this
because it was equipment necessary to make a super important show.
They knew how important it was because we had negotiated the OEM
agreement based on their delivery as scheduled. So at least
verbally it was a breach of contract. I think that they will make good
on it, but I am waiting.
	As far as the mark-up of peripherals that is actually pretty
standard (look at DEC prices). I feel that Sun in general is probably
not so bad. Sun is trying to become another DEC and their success
in the cutthroat Generic Unix box is probably going to be related to
how well they keep their delivery schedules (and Q/C)

On the other hand alot of their support has been good and I am certainly
very happy with the product.