damned trashy mailer

bzs%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa bzs%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Wed Feb 12 02:16:11 AEST 1986

>From: Mark Crispin <MRC%PANDA at sumex-aim.ARPA>
>
>I just had a message barfed by the mailer at Shasta (a 780 running 4BSD).
>The exact error message was "endmailer uux: stat 31".
>
>This is not the sort of messge which should ever be sent to a user, much
>less a remote user.  I hope the programmer responsible for that message
>is damned to spend eternity, watching OS/360 source listings type out on a
>50 bps Baudot Teletype.

Oh lighten up. Yes you are responsible for a wonderful mailer on the
20. Unfortunately it is machine coded and the machine died. We all
make mistakes*. At least give the wizards the courtesy of some context
as to what caused this (like some relevant pieces of the header.)
I suspect you aren't too thrilled with a bug report like this either.
I'm no great fan of uucp either, but it gets the job done (note that
this wasn't the mailer's fault, it is just returning all it knows
about an abnormal exit from a forked job that was supposed to send
the mail on, UUX: unix-unix execute, a general remote execution
facility. To be useful UUX should have printed something to it's
standard error which would have been gleefully transmitted verbatim
by the mailer back to you, it just never had a chance.)

Oh, and lest I be misunderstood, thanks for MM. Why don't you tell
us all what's happening with the MultiMedia Mail project (MMM?)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

*Yes, I know you inherited it that way at some early point in history.