Difference in Ultrix (uucp/uu{en,de}code)

David Herron, NPR Lover david at ukma.UUCP
Fri Feb 28 01:15:03 AEST 1986

A friend who runs an Ultrix machine ran across an interesting
change with uucp on Ultrix.  (He's not done much with Unix
before.  I was giving him some software, using uuencoded files
to get it there, but he had troubles unpacking it).

For some reason uu{en,de}code are owned by uucp and set[ug]id
to boot!  WHY?????  It was very surprising for my friend when
he said "uudecode file" and it said "file: permission denied"
or whatever that protection message is.  And then he su'd to
try again as root and still got the same message!  Sheesh.

Why did DEC do this?  (uu{en,de}code in the 4.2 distribution
gets installed owned by root and no set[ug]id, so DEC definitely
changed this...)

Fortunately this isn't a security hole.  I created a uuencoding
of /bin/sh, editted the file to put set[ug]id to the resulting
file, then uudecoded it.  The file was owned by uucp, but not
set[ug]id.
David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET, david at uky.csnet
							  ^
			Notice new and improved address---|

Postmaster for Kentucky
"'New and improved' is a misnomer" -- David Herron, 1986