hayes & uucp

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Sun Feb 16 22:21:54 AEST 1986

<Oh oh here it comes.  Watch out boy, it'll chew you up! \
Oh oh here it comes.  The LINE EATER!  [Line eater]>

In article <252 at maynard.UUCP>, campbell at maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>> Many thanks to all who responded to the hayes modem <==> uucp problem.  The
>> solution I liked best was so simple, but *I* never thought of it.  Just
>> put the appropriate hayes commands in the L.sys startup string.
>> Larry McVoy
>There is one difference that wasn't obvious to me for a while, so I
>thought I'd point it out.  uucico distinguishes between a dial failure
>and a login failure.  You can have multiple entries in L.sys for a
>system, with a different phone number in each entry; uucico will dial
>using each one in turn until it gets through, IF it encounters dial
>failures.  But if it encounters a login failure (a failure in the
>expect-send sequence in L.sys) uucico stops right there and won't try
>any subsequent entries for that system in L.sys.
>Larry Campbell                                 The Boston Software Works, Inc.

This is not the case with Honey Danber UUCP, BTW.  (Honey Danber is custom
configurable to modems too, however, so the point would be moot.  I don't
see why uucp didn't have custom configuration for modems even in the
beginning!  It would have saved LOTS of headaches and hacking....)
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy