Date:Feb 18 1986

The News System <news> news at brl-smoke.ARPA
Wed Feb 19 08:39:57 AEST 1986

To:  unix-wizards at BRL.ARPA
From:  astropa%ipacuc.bitnet at wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:Help on BSD 2.9 and Gould printer plotter

Here is our problem: we have a PDP 11/34a, running under a heavily
hacked version 6 of Unix, which originally run on an 11/60, and was
ported to the 34 by a group at Harvard College Observatory. Among the
other periferals we have attached a Gould 5200 electrostatic printer
plotter. The driver for the Gould was originally written at HCO by
somebody who knew what he was doing, so that it has been running for
years. Now we want to upgrade the system to the BSD 2.9 flavor of
Unix, but the Gould is not among the supported devices, so we have the
problem of converting the driver. We had somebody do a conversion,
but his driver never did run (he just wrote the code, but never tested
it). We apparently were successful in adding the driver to the system
but as soon as we try to write to the Gould the system crashes... Is
there some magic trick we do not know about, for converting a driver
and adding it to the system? Even better, is there, out in netland,
somebody who has a driver for the Gould and is willing to share it?
Any suggestion, comment, idea, etc. is welcome and appreciated.
Please send private replies, I will summarize them to the net.
Thanks in advance for the help|
                             Fabio Favata.
ASTROPA at IPACUC.BITNET