The incredible exploding C compiler.

Todd Cooper todd at bucsd.UUCP
Thu Feb 6 05:43:05 AEST 1986

In article <1377 at sdcsvax.UUCP> darrell at sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) writes:
>Oh great and wise UNIX* wizards, I again appeal to your wisdom.  The C
>compiler on my 3B-2 says,
>
>	cc -O -c hack.mklev.c
>"hack.mklev.c", line 477: compiler error: dlabel
>
>The offending line(s) follow.
>
>	croom = &rooms[a];
>	troom = &rooms[b];
>
>	/* find positions cc and tt for doors in croom and troom
>	   and direction for a corridor between them */
>
>	if(troom->hx < 0 || croom->hx < 0 || doorindex >= DOORMAX) return;
>	if(troom->lx > croom->hx) {
>		dx = 1;
>		dy = 0;
>		xx = croom->hx+1;
>		tx = troom->lx-1;
>		cc = finddpos(xx,croom->ly,xx,croom->hy);
>		tt = finddpos(tx,troom->ly,tx,troom->hy);
>	} else if(troom->hy < croom->ly) {
>	.
>	.
>	.
>
>Does anyone know what this error means?  Is it a known bug that can be
>programmed "around"?

I Programmed around it (on our 3b5) by doing a #define for &rooms[a]
and it worked --- it put the right things in the right places -- anything
in C can be worked around if one is tricky enough --- BOY WOULD I LIKE
TO YELL AT SOMEONE AT AT&T FOR A *COMPILER* ERROR!.

Now that it is off my head -- if you want context diffs -- please tell me
(or an image file)

--
Todd Cooper

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!todd ...!harvard!think!festiv!todd
CSNET:	todd at bu-cs
BITNET:	cscpyqc at bostonu
USNail:	29 Gordon Street #201, Brighton, MA 02135