Marc A. Ries ries at trwrba.UUCP
Wed Feb 26 03:32:26 AEST 1986

[LE]

Thanks for all your responses concerning eliminating  the  return
of  the  Process ID number when a program is placed in background
via "&" and *sh*.  Basically, all the solutions work.  I did  end
up  changing  the  program  code because the message I wanted was
going out via "stderr" (and thus would be lost if you  redirected
it to /dev/null, etc.).

Here's a quick summary of the responses:

    From: jwp at sdchem.UUCP

	#! /bin/csh -f
	(nice myprog &)

    From: wtm at bunker.UUCP

        Call this shell  script  "run_back".  This  script  would
        just  contain:  myprog&  Then  in your .profile, just run
        "run_back" (NOTE:  Do NOT run this in background).

    From: edler at cmcl2.UUCP

       sh -c 'command&'.

    From: sean at ukma.UUCP

  	forkit myprog  # <-- use a front-end "fork"ing program

    From: sdcrdcf!allegra!mp

        ... [if] using stderr, not just stdout.  Try
	(checkmail 2>&1 &) 2>/dev/null

    From:ihnp4!oliveb!jerry

        ... if the program is always run in the  background  then
        it could place itself there. [i.e.:] if (fork()) exit(0);