Help needed: 3Com Ethernet Controller (4.2BSD)

Bob Tomlinson tomlin at dspo.UUCP
Fri Feb 28 07:41:14 AEST 1986

> I have been trying to get a 3Com Unibus Ethernet controller working
> on our Vax 11/785 (which is running 4.2BSD).  The problem is that when
> I try to boot the kernal configured for the 3Com board the system hangs
> up and will not completely boot.  It hangs while probing our tape drive.
> (I am wondering if that turkey dh/dm could be the problem, it has
> caused us headaches in the past....)

Nope, I believe it is the turkey 3Com board which has to be configured
before anything on the Unibus which might want Unibus memory (it isn't
very flexible as you put the start of its Unibus address space in the
switch registers).  You need to coerce the system to configure the 3Com
early.  Since the disk configuration code in unifind() (vax/autoconf.c)
is separate from the other-devices-on-the-bus configuration code,
simply move the disk configuration code down below.

Also, if you want things to work after a Unibus reset you may want to
move the lines in ubareset() (vaxuba/uba.c) that look like:
	#ifdef INET
		ifubareset(uban);
	#endif
above the "for" loop.

NOTE:	Also, make sure your ECMEM definition in vaxif/if_ec.c conforms to
	what you have in the switch registers.

If you have any other questions, call or mail to me.  We are also running
the 3Com on a 785 (although I just got our Interlan replacement).

					-- bob tomlinson
					   dspo!tomlin at lanl.arpa
					   (505) 667-8495
--
Bob Tomlinson - dspo!tomlin at LANL  or  {ucbvax!unmvax,ihnp4!lanl}!dspo!tomlin
Los Alamos National Laboratory - E-10/Data Systems