"as -r" - VAXen only?

Eric K. Bustad ekb at piggy.UUCP
Thu Feb 20 04:43:47 AEST 1986

The System V common assembler has a -r option to tell it to place all
assembled data into the .text section instead of the .data section.
However this is documented as only working on VAXen.  In fact, when I
tried it on a AT&T 3B20 I got a warning message saying that the -r flag
had been ignored.

I have moved the data into the .text section by editing the assembly
language output of CC on a 3B20 and run it without any problems.

Can someone explain to me why this should/can not be done on a 3B20 or
other non-VAX machine?

= Eric Bustad
  AT&T Bell Laboratories
  Holmdel NJ