Help on Sendmail

Reba Kraus reba%carcvax.uconn.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Tue Feb 11 11:57:03 AEST 1986

  I am having a frustrating problem with the 4.2BSD UNIX "sendmail"
program. I modified the "conf.c" file (checkcompat) to include
some user-screening, and can no longer to get a working version
of "sendmail" (except from backup tapes!), even when I restore the
original conf.c file!!
When I tried recompiling again, the exact commands were
(on a VAX780/4.2BSD):

			(from the "sendmail" directory)
			cd lib
			make
			cd src
			make
			install -s -m 4755 src/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail

  Then, I executed sendmail:
			cd /usr/spool/mqueue
			/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h &

  Within a few seconds, this message appears:
    [1] Segmentation Fault /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h (core dumped)

Dbx showed the reference to occur in "malloc" --- called from "openlog"
(in the "lib/syslog.c" file).

I suspect that there is a "make" option that I am not supplying
when I compile the sources. However, the "Sendmail Installation and
Operation Guide" doesn't specify any options (pages 2-3).
I would greatly appreciate any information on this problem.

		reba at UCONN@CSNET-RELAY

Thanks in advance -

Reba Kraus

Univ. of Connecticut
Computer Applications and Research Center (CARC)
(203) 486-5306