Symbolic user names and RFS

Rick Sample sample at ubc-ean.UUCP
Sat Feb 15 14:55:32 AEST 1986

In article <674 at oliveb.UUCP> jerry at oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>Anybody know how this is handled on other networked file systems?

The NFS system running on Sun Microsystems machines has the same problems,
at least in the versions we are running at UBC.  We are in the process
of biting the bullet and changing all machines to have the same UID/GID
symbolic -> numeric mapping.  This is not as onerous as it may at first
seems, a few shell scripts can greatly help.  I am in the process of doing
this in the off hours, at the rate of about one user per day.  There are
some administrative problems in maintaining a common id space over a number
of organizations, though.