hayes & uucp

Larry Campbell campbell at maynard.UUCP
Sat Feb 15 04:00:29 AEST 1986

> Many thanks to all who responded to the hayes modem <==> uucp problem.  The
> solution I liked best was so simple, but *I* never thought of it.  Just
> put the appropriate hayes commands in the L.sys startup string.  Uucico
> doesn't care what it talks to so long as it gets a recognizable response.
> Very slick, don't have to recompile, hack or anything.  My kind of solution!
> --
> Larry McVoy
> Arpa:  mcvoy at rsch.wisc.edu
> Uucp:  {seismo, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!geophiz!larry

There is one difference that wasn't obvious to me for a while, so I
thought I'd point it out.  uucico distinguishes between a dial failure
and a login failure.  You can have multiple entries in L.sys for a
system, with a different phone number in each entry; uucico will dial
using each one in turn until it gets through, IF it encounters dial
failures.  But if it encounters a login failure (a failure in the
expect-send sequence in L.sys) uucico stops right there and won't try
any subsequent entries for that system in L.sys.
--
Larry Campbell                                 The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: maynard.UUCP:campbell at harvard.ARPA       120 Fulton Street