Any decent Fortrans under Unix ? Which machine ?

kenward kenward at mdivax1.UUCP
Fri Feb 28 03:17:31 AEST 1986

<<hi>>

I object to the idea that "really good libraries" are the only, or even the main
requirement for good Fortran software support.  Particullarily when discussing
UNIX f77.

First of all, a good, reliable, fully documented compiler is required.  The
very basic software support needed is good error checking, and intelligible
error reporting at compile time and run time!
("snark (magic2) compiler error" just doen't cut it)

Then there is the question of a good environment -- good, *user friendly*,
edit-compile-run-debug support.  UNIX f77 just doesn't have it.  VAX VMS
Fortran does.

In addition, the compiler should have a reliable, working optimizer, and the
resultant code should execute at an acceptable MIPS.  Many such Fortran
optimizing compilers are currently available (VAX VMS, Perkin Elmer Fortran 77, MTS Fortran H, and there definitely many more I am not familiar with).  With
the availability of superminis like those produced by DEC, Gould, or Prime,
Perkin-Elmer, acceptable hardware performance can be obtained without buying a "Cray".

Last of all, good library support -- at the Fortran source level -- beginning
with fundamental things like good I/O support (ie: parallel I/O, buffered I/O).
While it is a *pain*, it is usually easier to write a numerical routine from
scratch than it is to try and write high level support for things like parallel
I/O.  IMSL is a luxury.

Just some thoughts, and certainly not the whole picture, but I hope you get the
gist of what I am trying to put across.

***
    Disclaimer:
      MDI wishes to inform anyone who would dare ask that they have NEVER
      heard of me!
***

--

Gary W. Kenward
Mobile Data International Inc.

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!