System V version 2 release 2

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Feb 9 21:57:01 AEST 1986

>	Is System V version 2 release 2 for VAX computers a virtual memory
> operating system, similar to Berkeley 4.1/4.2 UNIX systems for VAX
> computers?  I was under the impression that it was a virtual memory OS,
> but some people say it isn't so.  What's the poop?

UNIX System V Release 2.0, Version 2 for DEC VAX
does indeed support demand-paged virtual memory.
The design of the memory manager is better than in
4.2BSD, although it isn't as machine-independent as
it should have been, according to porters.  There
is at least one known bug in the paging code,
so make sure you get support!  (To forestall
jeering from the Berkeley folks, were you aware
that 4.1BSD wasted half its paging disk space?)

This version of the system also includes enhancements
to "f77".  It is probably the last AT&T release for
the VAX.  Perhaps DEC will pick up the dropped ball.