Avalon AP/10A attached processor for VAX.

x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Sat Feb 1 14:43:31 AEST 1986

In article <135 at uwslh.UUCP> dem at uwslh.UUCP writes:
>I recently received a brochure from Avalon Computer Systems for
>their AP/10A attached processor system.
>It is an auxiliary cpu that plugs into the VAX unibus.
>You add a device driver and recompile your programs so that they
>will be loaded into the new cpu rather than run by the VAX cpu.
	Last time I looked at them, they only supported 4.*BSD, and not
	System V.  Does anybody know of a System V version?
>It apparently runs only one process at a time in the attached processor.
>How do you deal with someone trying program1|program2|program3
>where more than one of the programs has been compiled to run on the
>attached processor.
	If your program is written properly, it will check a file or
	other semaphore mechanism, then run either the coprocessor version
	or the main  CPU version depending on what's free.
>Has anyone actually tried one of these?  Is it worth the trouble?
	We have a similar device that lives out on an RS232 port
	and does troff.  It's hard to say if it's worth while,
	aminly because of the time to transmit the files down to the
	box and back.  If it were on a network that didn't require too
	much CPU to transfer files, it would be a big win.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs