ULTRIX futures?

Brian W. Masinick bwm at decvax.UUCP
Wed Feb 19 12:38:42 AEST 1986

In article <703 at brl-smoke.ARPA> wayne at wilbur.arpa writes:
>A random question from an interested but uninformed observer:
>
>What with 4.3BSD and System V Release 3 making their debuts,
>anybody got any idea what is in ULTRIX's future?
>
>Wayne Hathaway		wayne at ames-nas.arpa

I don't think I'm sticking my neck out too far in saying these things
because there was a recent press release with most of this information:

1. Digital is committed to supporting the proposed IEEE P1003 standard
for UNIX, and is actively involved in the committee.

2. Release 1.2 of ULTRIX contains most of the features described in the
System V Interface Definition.  Total compliance on this definition may
depend to some extent on similarities/differences between IEEE P1003 and
SVID.

3. Several performance improvements are being included in new releases of
ULTRIX.  Some of these are closely related to work done with BSD 4.3;
others are improvements that take better advantage of the hardware or fix
bugs present in earlier BSD releases.

That is about all that is certain at this time.  There are many other
features that are in part of the VAX architecture that are certainly to be
considered.  I think it would be premature to expect anything other than
the items mentioned above with any certainty.

decvax!bwm