Fishing for a SUN driver source

Barry Shein bzs%bostonu.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
Thu Jan 16 11:17:49 AEST 1986

I am about to move our Ungermann/Bass DR11-W driver over to an
IKON DR11-W emulator on a VME/Multibus adapter on a Sun. It
serves as another net interface for, eg, 4.2 TCP/IP (it's a
hacked up version of the 4.2 un driver adapted for broadband.)

I await the lawyers to resolve my source license and some other
things slowing this down.

Looking at it it seems the biggest piece of work is to translate all
the unibus glue to vmebus ('mainbus') glue, the rest should be fairly
pedestrian. I have not done this before on a VMEbus and find the docs
a little wanting (not surprising, when do driver hackers have enough
docs.) The SUN document 'How to write a Device driver' is helpful, but
what I really need to just get this thing done is a similar driver to
cannibalize the necessary routines from.

Does anyone have a SUN DMA device driver for a VME bus, obviously
preferable would be a network interface esp sitting on a VME/Multibus
adapter but anything might be very helpful. I can produce 4.2 source
licenses if that's involved. If you think it requires SUN source licensing
well I might be able to do something about that also as even when the
licenses get signed it would probably be a while till the tapes arrive,
and what you have might be more useful anyhow.

Thanks in advance.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

P.S. When it's done it will be distributed gratis to whoever needs it,