File locking on networks

Jack Jansen jack at boring.UUCP
Wed Jan 15 02:24:25 AEST 1986

[The problem:
 - Program on machine A has lock on file on B.
 - Link between A and B goes down.
 - B decides A has crashed, breask lock, and does cleanup.
 - Link comes back up.
]
In my opinion, the best thing to do is that I/O operations done
by the program that still thinks it holds the lock return with EIO.

This is a condition that is understood by unix programs, for instance
when a disk goes offline), and if it is crucial to the application that
someth action is taken when an operation is partially completed, it
will catch the error, and do something intelligent.
--
	Jack Jansen, jack at mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.