/usr/lib/aliases name format

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Wed Jan 22 19:19:08 AEST 1986

> > However, is it okay to put in names such as
> > person at lastmch.uucp or person at lastmch.UUCP?
> >
> > Or does the answer depend on how our sendmail configuration
> > file is defined (of which I know zilch about)?
>
> Yes, it does depend on your sendmail.cf file.  I hacked mine to recognize
> these addresses and give them to drilltech!sob's uumail program which would
> figure out a path for "lastmch".  The case of the domain (uucp) seems not
> to matter.  Unless you have this program your sendmail will probably
> do one of two things
>   Translate person at lastmch.uucp to lastmch!person and attempt to deliver it
> with uux.  Fine if your site talks to lastmch.
>   Think the address is a local user, discover there is no one named
> "person at lastmch.uucp" at your site and return the mail.

Or 3) feed it to another similar program instead, such as "uuroute"/"uubang"
(written by, I think, Mark Horton) which does something similar - "rlgvax"
runs "uubang".  The way it runs "uubang" is that the UUCP mailer entry
feeds the message to "uubang" rather than "uux"; "uubang" then translates it
if necessary and hands it to "uux".  The sendmail configuration file doesn't
treat bang paths as different from @site.UUCP paths; it hands them both to
"uubang".  (And it's unlikely that it will think "person at lastmch.uucp" is
local, unless it's a very odd configuration file, since there is a host name
there after the "@" and it's not the name of the local site.)

	Guy Harris