Process Execution with Non-Standard Entry Points

Joseph T. Healey jth at linus.UUCP
Tue Jan 14 04:32:54 AEST 1986

I am interested in taking a "snapshot" of a running process, stopping execution,
and the resuming execution at the instruction after the stop. I have success-
fully copied the state of the text, data and stack segments and constructed a
new a.out header specifying a new entry point (a_entry).

The program calls a function apon receiving a SIGINT signal and sets the
new (desired) entry point from the saved PC on the stack, however when I try
to run the new program it always segmentation faults. I can specify any
function address in the program as the entry point and the program can be
successfully run.

I am assuming the since I am trying to start at the saved PC instruction that
it should be on a correct instruction address. Does anyone have any ideas
about how I can start the execution of a program at an instuction other
than a function address?? Any insight at all would be appreciated.

						Joseph T. Healey
						Technical Staff
						Mitre Corp.
						617-271-8369