Has disk technology peaked?

jbn at wdl1.UUCP jbn at wdl1.UUCP
Thu Jan 23 16:20:41 AEST 1986

     I'm beginning to wonder if disk technology peaked in the late 1970s.
We have two Fujitsu Eagles.  One has been replaced twice, and the other
has been replaced once, both in the last 18 months.  We also have ten
CDC9766 drives.  Two have over 60,000 hours on the clock, and the other
eight have over 30,000 hours each.  We haven't had a head crash with lost
data on a CDC9766 since early in the decade.
     Yes, those big drives cost more.  But only about 30% more.  Will
your Eagles still be flying at 60,000 hours?  I wish CDC still made those
big tanks.

					John Nagle