Having trouble booting SysV 2.0V2 from non-DEC tape

Geoff Whale geoff at idec.stc.co.uk
Sat Jan 11 04:04:02 AEST 1986

I'm having trouble booting System V 2.0V2 on a 750 with a
non-DEC tape drive.  Its an EMI drive emulating a TS05 (?), and
I've currently got no information about it, except that its like
a TS11.  The TS11 bootstrap seems to work OK, up to the point where
it asks its first question.
	RM05/RM80 ...... on MBA0:
At this point replying with any of Y y N or n produces the message
	assumed 'n'
and the CPU halts.  (and the whole thing has to be keyed in again.)

I've tried the tape on a real TS11 and discovered that lower case 'y'
is what its after. (Incompatible disk media, natch).

The favourite theory seems to be that the phoney TS11 is mangling
the tape part of the bootstrap in such a way that this still partially
works. (Maybe not loading the last few bytes of it or some such thing).

However before I start trying to check this out I'd be grateful if
anyone has other ideas about what could cause this effect, or can think
of ways round it (using the TU58 ?).

The console is an LA100 running at 9600.  I've tried all the
parity/charsize combinations and the effect (for the ones that don't
produce gibberish) is the same.  There is no RDM and the hardware is at
Rev.7

Regards,
geoff
--