Absolute vs. Relative paths

davidsen at steinmetz.UUCP davidsen at steinmetz.UUCP
Fri Jan 10 01:13:04 AEST 1986

A recent note on a utility which produced default user paths prompts me offer
a few ideas and ask for information.

On the SysIII and SysV systems with which I usually work, the default
user path is defined in /etc/profile, which is executed before the .profile.
This path includes the local command directory(s) for the machine as well. I
saw that the command the set the path was placed in /bin, while (as far as I
now) most of our machines have a separate directory for local commands. This
allows users to work with only standard commands if they desire, by editing
their path.

Question: do most people have a separate directory for local commands, and if
so what do you call it? Favorites here are /usr/local/bin and /usr/lbin.

Please mail info to me and I will summarize and post when the volume drops
off.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->--- crdos1!davidsen

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."