seek on raw magtape

Don Speck speck at cit-vlsi.arpa
Tue Jan 14 02:38:16 AEST 1986

    A year ago I had to bring up 4.2bsd on two vaxen whose only
removable media were RL02's.  My only way of writing an RL02 was
tape-to-disk copy on a VMS machine.  So, I dd'd an appropriate
filesystem to a tape, and for paranoia, fsck'd the tape.  Slow,
yes, but not much worse than the VMS machine was at copying to
the RL02.

    When I tried to mount the tape as a filesystem, /etc/mount
refused, and then hung the tape drive - I got ENXIO on the next
open (probably the kernel forgot to close the device).

		Don Speck	speck at cit-{vax,vlsi}.arpa