getting more kernel space in 2.9BSD

Lee Moore lee at rochester.arpa
Fri Jan 24 08:58:28 AEST 1986

My question revolves around a 2.9BSD system that I have been asked to
help out on.  The processor is a PDP-11/34 so it doesn't have
split I/D space.

This system has a specialized device driver that needs 1800 bytes of
data -- mainly to hold a 1600 byte array.  With this device driver loaded I
can only have a MAXUSERS of 2.  Otherwise, part of the data segment extends
into the remapping area.

My question is how to get more space.  My current thought is to move
the inode table into the remapping area.  I assume that all I have to
do is move the inode table to the end of param.c and added that name
to :comm-to-bss and recompile everything.  Does this sound reasonable?

Any other ideas?

thanks,
  lee moore