Ultrix Disk Partitioning Problem

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Wed Jan 22 22:39:22 AEST 1986

In article <465 at rna.UUCP> dan at rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
>In article <17100006 at unido.UUCP> dfk at unido.UUCP writes:
>>I'm posting this because Snoopy's site has news problems.
>>So here is the problem: the MV2 comes with Ultrix 1.1 (binary
>>only) and what I have tried to do is bring up this new Eagle
>>disc with the Emulex controller. Here is the config file:
>	Maybe I don't know something, but I believe that Ultrix 1.1
>is 4.2BSD, even in its disk partitioning software. I am not aware of
>any major changes that allow you to repartition the disks any quicker...

Sorry, Dan, this is one of the two major changes DEC made to the
Ultrix hp driver.  You know where it has said in the hp driver
"this should be read in from disk"?  DEC went and did it.

>>So my problem is: the new eagle has to be an ra disc (for the
>>right driver to be used). Ra81's are not the right size (too
>>small). What I have therefore tried to do was to redeclare the

Actually, I don't understand why it has to look like an RA81.  For
one thing, RA81's have no hp-type interface: they are MSCP drives.

The size of an RA81 is:
	:ty=winchester:ns#51:nt#14:nc#1248:pc#891072:

The size of an Eagle is:
	:ty=winchester:ns#48:nt#20:nc#842:rm#3961:pc#808320:

Interestingly, in our ISI m68k disktab, I also find:
beagle|Snoopy| Brain-Damaged Eagle (47 sectors courtesy of SC03):\
	:ty=winchester:ns#47:nt#20:nc#842:rm#3961:pc#791480:

If this is what Snoopy is using, that certainly explains why it
loses! The entire entry is at the end of this posting. Although
this wasn't going to be my original suggestion, this would
certainly explain why he can't read the last sector of something:
note that, as opposed to a real Eagle, this has 47 sectors/track!
(why, i don't know, but the tab does say 'B-D'.)

I was originally going to mention that the 4.2 and Ultrix hp drivers
have at least two serious bugs.  (These are changes that DEC did not
make.)  One is that the driver promises to support Emulex controllers
with an RM02 drive type ("Impossible, so ask me what my cyl/trk/sec
parameters really are"), but crashes any system that tries it.  The
other is that attempts to read or write the raw disk using a number
of blocks that does not evenly divide the size of the file system
will return a read or write error on the last (partial) read.  This
can really mess up your file system.  Fixes for Ultrix have been
posted to DEC (decuac, and soon decvax), and fixes for 4.2 will be
posted to bugs-4bsd as soon as I can retroport and get some red
tape untangled.

Oh, let me not forget to append:
beagle|Snoopy| Brain-Damaged Eagle (47 sectors courtesy of SC03):\
	:ty=winchester:ns#47:nt#20:nc#842:rm#3961:\
	:pa#15884:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
	:pb#66880:pc#791480:\
	:pd#15884:bd#8192:fd#1024:\
	:pe#307200:be#4096:fe#1024:\
	:pf#92872:bf#8192:ff#1024:\
	:pg#416232:bg#4096:fg#1024:\
	:ph#291346:bh#8192:fh#1024:
  [and just fer what it's worth -- echhh:]
erp06|Extended rp06 for Eagle:\
	:ty=winchester:ns#44:nt#19:nc#1772:\
	:pa#15884:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
	:pb#66880:\
	:pc#1481392:\
	:pd#15884:bd#8192:fd#1024:\
	:pe#307200:be#4096:fe#512:\
	:pf#783156:bf#4096:ff#1024:\
	:pg#1106688:bg#4096:fg#1024:\
	:ph#291346:bh#4096:fh#512:
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}